This beautiful patinated copper-ware sculpture is attributed to French sculptor Pierre Brun (1915-2011). The artist produced his first sculptures while in captivity during the Second World War, using clay found in the camps.
Taught at the Fine Arts College of Paris he soon exhibits at the Salon des Tuileries. In 1948 he is included in the Rodin Museum’s Salon Jeune Sculpture and he is awarded the Prix National des Arts in 1949.
In the early 1950s he passed the examination to become a Sculpture teacher at the Fine Arts College of Saint-Etienne and he is appointed teacher at the Applied Arts College of Paris.
During the 1960s he is a member of the jury of the Fine Arts College along with Giacometti.
His œuvre comprises over a thousand original works. His production includes sculptures and paintings and is sometimes on the edge of abstraction as it is the case with our present work, The Couple.
Salons and Exhibitions :
1962 : participates in the Contemporary Art fair held in Sarlat (Dordogne, France) with Bissière.
1978-1980-1983 : included in the Salon Comparaisons at the Grand Palais, Paris.
1979 : introduced in a television show by Michelle Sandrel.
1984 : exhibits as a member at the Salon d’Automne, Paris.
1985 : exhibits at Régine Lussan, rue de l’Odéon, Paris.
1987 : inaugurates a bust of Charles de Gaulle in Coulommiers, address by Alain Pierrefitte.
1988 : exhibits at the Grand Palais ; Gold Medal at the Salon des Artistes Français ; teacher at the Municipal Studios of Coulommiers ; publication of a book entitled Pierre Brun Sculpteur (Porte du Sud editions by Jean Schelstraete).
2008 : selected for the Vermeille medal of the City of Paris ; included in the New Violet Prix Fondation Taylor fair ; exhibits at the Art Capital fair in the Grand Palais, Paris ; Silver Medal from the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts ; exhibits in the Carrousel du Louvre.
2010 : Honor guest of the Automnal of Noiseau.