A rare pair of walnut “sedile a pozzetto” chairs. Placed on a moulded plinth, they have a seven-sided back made of vertical boards surrounded by a moulded frame. The armrest forms the upper part of the seat and runs around it. It is highlighted by a frieze of dentils. The seat is formed by a heptagonal panel above a compartment closed by a leaf.
Each panel is decorated with a beautiful marquetry depicting flowering candelabras and grotesques.
This type of chair was originally reserved for the studiolo. It marks a transition between medieval forms and Renaissance furniture. It is a typically Florentine piece of furniture, of which only a few remain. One of them is on display at the Horne Museum in Florence.
Mario Tintini, Il Mobilio Florentino (1929), p. CCLXXII